Bread is one of the most well-known & widely consumed foods in the world. Like most foods however, there are great varieties & not-so-good varieties available.
And if you’ve been with me for a while, you’ll know that my advice aims to educate & limit confusion when it comes to health, nutrition & well being advice.
We know that everyone is unique & requires different foods in their diets for their optimal health. This post focuses on one of the healthiest varieties of bread on the market & is not a statement that we should all be eating bread, but to assist with understanding Sourdoughs’ positive difference, if you choose to eat bread.
Here are 10 top reasons to choose traditional Sourdough bread :
- PROBIOTICS : The natural fermentation process when making Sourdough increases the amount & variety of beneficial bacteria in the bread. 🙆♀️A variety of good gut bacteria = happy body
- NUTRITIOUS: Its packed with nutrients B1-6, B12, folate,thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, Vitamin E, selenium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, balanced proteins & fatty acids. Most commercial breads contain a fraction of this in comparison
- LESS GLUTEN : Sourdoughs preparation is much lengthier than commercial yeast breads & longer prep time results in gluten being broken down. So it’s easier to digest, including for those with gluten-intolerance
- NATURAL PRESERVATIVES : It doesn’t contain nasty toxic preservatives like most commercial breads do. The process of making sourdough produces acetic acid, which inhibits the growth of mould
- MORE MINERALS & EASIER TO DIGEST: Sourdoughs contains high levels of good bacteria, Lactobacillus. The higher levels of Lactobacillus means more mineral availability & easier to digest than commercial yeast breads
- LESS STARCH : The bacteria-yeast combination works to pre-digest the starches in the grains. Less starch = easier to digest
- LOWER GI : The natural fermenting process means there’s less broken starches, therefore it wont dramatically spike blood sugar like other breads
- LOW YEAST : The beneficial bacteria control yeast production in the gut, making yeast overgrowth & infection less likely to occur
- ANCIENT ART : Sourdough’s made with wild yeast + bacteria + whole grain flour ~ the oldest, most original form of leavened bread
- THE TASTE : Tangy and distinctive, full of flavour that’s truly satisfying. The more satisfied we are, the less likely we are to overeat (especially with carbs!)
There are so many reasons to enjoy it! Is it one of your favourites?
Any questions? Please comment or contact me.
In good health,
Tracie Connor is an accredited nutritionist specialising in womens health, gut health, food allergies, gut health & weight management.
Regularly featured in the Sydney Morning Herald, Womens Health & Fitness Magazine, Huffington Post and on ABC Radio. Based in Brisbane, Australia.Share and Connect: